Was up early making a breakfast casserole for our prayer group/book study. It was a huge success and was a nice addition to our brunch. The sliced apples were sweet and complimented the savory sausage. Enjoy!
- 1 (16 ounce) package Regular Flavor Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage
- 18 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup crumbled bacon
- 6-8 cups cubed bread
- 2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1 sm container sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium tomato, sliced thin
- 1 cup sliced green onion (scallions)
- 1 apple thinly sliced
- Salt, pepper, seasonings, parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until thoroughly cooked and no longer pink. In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, half seasonings, salt pepper; stir well.
- Distribute half the bread evenly in a buttered 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking dish. Sprinkle half the cheese. Add sausage and bacon. Add half scallions.
- Add remaining bread, cheese, Pour egg mixture evenly over casserole.
- Add parsley, remaining scallions, sprinkle with seasonings.
- Top with thinly sliced tomatoes with thin slices of apples
- Bake uncovered for 55-60 minutes, or until eggs are set. Tent with foil if the top begins to brown too quickly.
You may cut individually and freeze to eat smaller portions another time.