Another year has passed. Many of you looking at your goals for the next 12 months, I know I am. A fresh year gives you the opportunity to make resolutions that will make your life happier in the upcoming year. The plans you make for next year matter, so you’ll want to carefully consider your resolutions.
As a bariatric patient though, I personally don’t like to call them resolutions.
It reminds me of times in my life when I made them, didn’t succeed, felt like a failure, and then indulged again and fell back into my old ways / bad habits. “Hey I blew it this year so I’ll start again next January.” It was a vicious cycle.
I like to call them Intentions or Ways of Awareness. I intend to… I choose to… Today I will be aware of…
Consider these intentions to fill your life with more happiness and joy:
- Laugh at least once a day and do what you love doing.
- Start your day with gratitude. Make smiling a priority and watch joy fill your life.
- Enjoy your surroundings and outside.
- Get creative.
- Clarify your priorities.
- Exercise. Exercise helps fight stress and increases energy. It can also improve your mood and make you feel happier.
- Get enough sleep.
- Stay present in the moment.
- Keep your mind active. An active mind avoids boredom, so you can find more joy.
- Give and accept more hugs. Hugs can lift your mood, and researchers have found they have a positive impact on endorphin levels.
- Spend more time with your children. See the joy of life through their eyes.
- Encourage the people around you. As you encourage others and help them find happiness, your own joy will increase.
- Do something just for you. It’s important to find time for yourself.
- Look for the positive aspects. Find the silver lining in all situations.
- Create new goals. Find happiness in new directions and goals.
New Year’s resolutions can be a powerful way to alter the direction of your entire year. They can also transform your life. Pick a few of these resolutions that resonate with you and enjoy the happy life you deserve!
Peace and Blessings,